Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Breath Easy...Yoga Cures the Incurable

Although the only thing that prevents my asthma & allergy prone 4 year old daughter from major asthma attacks are Pulmicort Respules, a medicine she inhales through a nebulizer almost daily (a real life saver for us), she's got a few more years before she can practice Yoga as a preventative measure.

Two days ago I received a link on controllong asthma, Crohn's disease, IBD & colitis by intentionally getting hookworm. Another, mentions people intentionally getting stung by bee's (otherwise known as Apitherapy) to relieve symtoms of MS, arthritis, and other diseases.

These methods seemed a bit extreme, but I suppose for those who's lives are disruptively, or even worse, chronically affected by these problems...these methods of treatment may be the only hope for some comfort and chance to live a normal (or as close to) normal life for these people. I wonder how affective these methods really are?

For those who are desperate to feel some relief...here is a much simpler method. Its called Pranayam. Pranayam is the breathing process or the control of the motion of inhalation, exhalation and the retention of vital energy.

It has recently attracted a lot of attention worldwide thanks to the instruction provided by Swami (or Baba) Ramdev Ji, a man who has attained somewhat of a celebrity status in India and the world of aruved (an ancient system of health care that is native to the Indian subcontinent) and yoga for his simple, clear and laymans teachings of Pranayam.

He is the first, in the history of world health, to use freely available Pran (Oxygen) as a medicine and in turn remains successful in treating thousands of grief stricken persons suffering from lethal diseases like Diabetes, H.B.P., Angina, Blockages in Arteries, Obesity, Asthma, Bronchitis, Leucoderma, Depression, Parkinson, Insomnia, - Migraine, Thyroid, Arthritis, Cervical Spondalities, Hepatitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Cancer, Cirrhosis of Liver, Gas, Constipation, Acidity etc. which are still a challenge in modern medical science.

I've personally tried and tested some of these very simple exercises. When I say "tried and tested", I mean that I've tried a few of his techniques very sparingly over the course of two weeks. I discovered (to my amazement) that I actually noticed a difference in my alertness and ability to focus, and wasn't out of breath as easily. I felt more in control, and definitely not as lethargic and lazy as I normally would. Other members of my family who moderately practice Pranayam Yoga methods also found that significant differences are made in their day-to-day well-being and coping with problems such as poor memory, diabetes, upset stomachs, acid reflux, migraines, depression...

So I wonder what the results could be if Ramdev's yogic methods are practiced as prescribed?? The suggested methods are all within doable and easily achievable limits for anybody willing to devote a minimum of 5-10 minutes of their day.

Below are a few methods of yoga breathing exercises that have been widely practiced in India for the past thousands of years to cure these same ailments plus many many more. Don't worry they're in English -- each method is for the treatment of various different problems/diseases, without the extreme factor!!

Try out Swami Ramdev's methods for yourself and be the judge. It’s worth a shot! After all, the only thing you jeopardize is a couple minutes of your day and a little extra effort spent inhaling/exhaling...not a bad gamble compared to hookworms and bee stings if you ask me.

PRANAYAMA

ANULOMA-VILOMA - part I

ANULOMA-VILOMA - part II

KAPALVATI PRANAYAMA - part I

KAPALVATI PRANAYAMA - part II

BAHYA PRANAYAMA AND AGNISAR KRIYA

Kay

No comments: